Free School Meals
The Welsh Government has introduced a policy that from September 2022, children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 will be offered universal free school meals. From September 2023, all primary school children in Newport will get free school meals.
Further information is available on the Newport City Council website, please click the following link:
How do I ask for a free school meal for my child?
To request a free school meal for your child, you will need to make your meal selection via Parentpay. Your booking needs to be made a whole week in advance, (e.g. input your selection on Parentpay by Sunday, 3rd September for meals to be provided for the week beginning Monday, 11th September).
Letter regarding Universal Free School Meals 30th August 2022
SCHOOL ESSENTIALS GRANT (formerly known as Pupil Development Grant PDG)
Families on low incomes may also qualify for additional funding.
The Welsh Government School Essentials Grant (formerly known as Pupil Development Grant PDG) helps to fund a child's school uniform and equipment, plus items for outside school activities. The Grant is to provide assistance to families on low incomes for the purchase of:
- School uniform including coats and shoes;
- School sports kit including footwear;
- Uniform for enrichment activities, including but not limited to, scouts; guides; cadets; martial arts; sports; performing arts or dance;
- Equipment e.g. school bags and stationery;
- Specialist equipment where new curriculum activities begin such as design and technology;
- Laptops or tablets; and
- Equipment for out of school hours trips such as outdoor learning e.g. waterproofs.
A payment of £125 will be made per pupil in all qualifying school years with the exception of pupils entering Year 7 who will each receive a payment of £200.
To apply for the School Education Grant please click below. Paper forms can be requested by telephoning 01633 656656 or via e-mail to email@example.com.